Saturday, May 16, 2009

Stealing more food ideas

I wish I could take credit for the amazing breakfast I had this morning, but alas, I cannot.
I had KERF's Oatmeal Pancake for breakfast and all I have to say is: What the hell took me so long?

I actually saw the recipe on Tina's site and new I had to give it a shot. The best part? I still had my oatmeal. But it didn't feel like I was eating the same ol breakfast. It was really stinkin good.

What I used:

  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup liquid egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 4 sliced up strawberries, two in the batter, two on the side (it took me a week to use up that container!)
  • Cinnamon to taste
On Top
  • 1 tbsp Teddie All Natural CrunchyPeanut Butter (made in my neighboring town of Everett!)
  • 1 tbsp Chobani 0% Greek vanilla yogurt(which is actually made at a farm in upstate NY, VERY close to where I grew up and in the town next to where Dennis grew up) I really dig the mix of my two lives of Boston and Upstate NY with these two products.

I combined all the ingredients in a bowl and dumped it all in a heated pan with Pam. I cooked the pancake for about 10 minutes--five on each side--and then topped it with the PB and yogurt with the strawberries on the side.



Con Cafe



This photo is for all you Dead heads out there--meaning you Sarah--
Dennis got me this mug after accidentally breaking my last coffee travel mug. I got a kick out of the "Morning Brew" (a play on words for the The Grateful Dead song Morning Dew) I thought it was cute.




The pancake is estimated to have 150 calories. I added about 225 more calories to that (and a ton of protein) with the PB, yogurt and fruit. 375 calories maybe?
Still not too much for a breakfast...but I'm feeling pretty darned satisfied so we'll see how long this holds me.

*Just to let you all know**
I try very hard not to let myself go longer than 4 hours without eating-I try to eat every 3-4 hours just so I don't let myself get super hungry. I won't eat if I'm not hungry or feeling well, but 9 times out of 10 I'm ready for SOMETHING 3-4 hours after I eat. If I go somewhere and I'm not sure how long it will be until I have the chance to eat, I will always pack something...a Clif bar, a granola bar, or fruit...just so I don't get stuck being hungry with no chance of relief.

A lot of times I don't even feel like I'm hungry--I don't get that "growling empty hunger pang" kind of feeling--but my body will feel woosy and I'll start to feel nauseous or light headed. That is another sign of hunger, and I hate that feeling. I can't enjoy my meal after I get that way. To keep my blood sugar stable, I eat every 3-4 hours. That also helps me from over indulging when I do eat.

So today I'm celebrating my 30th with some friends downtown. Reba and I are going to a 4:00 yoga class (an hour and a half of yoga in a "warm" room) She said it's not Bikram but she thinks I'll really enjoy it. I just hope I can make it...that's a long time for me.

After yoga we're going to shower and get some dinner with a couple of friends. I don't want to stay out TOO late because we're traveling tomorrow to NJ for business. But, I definitely want to enjoy a classy dinner with the ladies to kick off the entry of a new decade.

I'll be sure to let you all know how I did at yoga....wish me luck...I might need it...

No comments:

Post a Comment