Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Holy breakfast!






I have the tendency to find something I like and eat it all the time for months until I get sick of it. I used to do this with music too. That being said, the one thing that remains constant in my diet that I don't ever see myself getting sick of is oatmeal for breakfast.
So every once in a while I try to mix things up for breakfast. This morning I tried my Ezekiel French Toast with cooked apples.

2 slices of Ezekiel Sesame bread (I like that one best, you can use whatever one you want)
One small to medium sized apple
* 4 strawberries, sliced (only because I had to use them up)
1/2 cup natural apple sauce, no sugar added
1/4 cup Non-fat plain Greek yogurt (I used Trader Joe's)
1 tbs Apple Butter
1 tbsp flax seed (whole)
2 egg whites
1/4 cup 1% or skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

You know the deal: Mix the egg, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg. Dip the bread in the egg mixture. Cook.

Slice the apples thin and place them in a small pan with a few sprays of cooking spray and the applesauce. Cover and keep on low for about 10 minutes.
Spray a larger pan with cooking spray and cook up the FT until golden brown and crispy on both sides.

While everything is cooking, take the yogurt and mix with the apple butter and flax.

When the FT and apples are done, place the apples on top of the FT and serve with the yogurt, flax and apple butter mixture (for dipping). Holy Yum! I love this stuff. (although it's not the same as my oatmeal, I do enjoy it as a change-up of sorts)

I estimate it to have around 385 calories and TONS of fiber and protein, since the bread is high in protein and so is the yogurt. The pictures don't do it justice!

I am heading off to the gym to do some elliptical and light lifting. There's a yoga studio in Charlestown MA (it's only five minutes away from me) that has a beginner class tonight at 7:30. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I found out that in exchange for volunteering at their studio I can get free yoga. If that's the case, I'm all over that!

Enjoy your day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment