Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Even the smallest changes count

Dennis' fajitas were kick ass as usual! As I was eagerly waiting for them, I made a smaller version of my ridiculously large salad:
  • 1 Romaine heart
  • 1 small tomato
  • a handful of baby carrots
  • a handful of fat free croutons
  • dried garlic, dried oregano
  • 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp olive oil



It held me over while I waited patiently and kept me away from the saltines.
I went ONE FULL DAY without eating a saltine cracker today, even though we have 2 brand new unopened boxes in the cupboard!

Then, it was fajita time.

Dennis cooked up two pieces of chicken breast with a homemade mix of fajita spices (I honestly don't know the recipe) He sauteed up some red peppers and onions and Viola! Dinner was ready!

The thing is, he had some Chi Chi's flour burrito wraps that he was planning on serving my fajitas on. Before I let him heat one up for me, I decided to do a little fact checking. I compared the Chi Chi's tortilla to my Trader Joe's Lavash flat out wraps. The results:

Chi Chi's Tortilla-One serving size 60 grams
  • 170 calories
  • 3.5 grams of fat
  • 1.5 grams saturated fat !!!
  • 520 mg sodium !!!
  • 31 grams carbs
  • 2 grams fiber
  • 4 grams protein
Trader Joe's Lavash Flat Out Bread-One serving 33 grams (which is 1/2 wrap)
  • 110 calories
  • 0 fat
  • 0 saturated fat
  • 105 mg sodium
  • 21 grams carbs
  • 4 grams protein
  • 1 gram fiber
I used 2 servings of the flat out bread but I honestly wanted two fajitas and I didn't want two, let alone one of those Chi Chi's tortillas. 520 mg sodium and 1.5 grams of saturated fat??!!
I cooked up my flat out bread, halved it, and made two very reasonably sized fajitas. I was very happy with my decision and was very satisfied with my dinner.





(I put a little sour cream in there too)

Afterward, Dennis and I both were craving something sweet, but my friend Reba texted me to meet her for a drink after work. Since I knew I'd be having a beer, I decided not to have my dessert.

Since she works the mid shift, I wasn't meeting her until 9:30. I got hungry at around 9 so I decided before I walked out the door to have one slice of Ezekiel bread with a tbsp of raw almond butter and one square of 70% cocao dark chocolate to hold me over so I didn't order anything at the restaurant or drink more than one beer. Man was I thinking today!!

At the bar I ordered a small Sam Adams Summer Ale (yum!) And I didn't try any of her food, even though she offered (which is not like me...haha)



Now it's time for bed. I'm really excited for my 12:15 spin class tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment