Thursday, May 7, 2009

Is it May already?

I keep forgetting it's May since the weather has been so crappy here. This morning I put on my fleece to go to the gym and realized, hey, I don't think I need this! It was still a little chilly but nothing I couldn't handle. Score, we're almost there.

I decided to start out my day with a Yoga DVD that Dennis got me for Christmas a few years ago. It's Gaiam Power Yoga Total Body with Rodney Lee. I am still very new to the yoga scene. Even though I've tried it a few times on and off for the past six years, I still haven't gotten "Into" it. This DVD was a lot for me, since I don't really know all the moves and it's hard to follow the flow when you have to stop and see what certain moves are. I think I need a beginner 20 minute DVD that will show me the ropes but still give me the workout (mind and body) that I need...just until I get the hang of things. I honestly don't know where to begin.

After about 20 minutes (all I could really handle) of this DVD, I was ravenous. I made my favorite oats:



1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 banana
Cinnamon
Topped with 1 tbs. whole flax seed
1 tbsp. slivered almonds
4 halved blackberries

Plus my coffee mug (12 oz) of freshly ground coffee with 1/4 cup 1% milk and 2 tsp. Agave nectar.

I rarely finish my mug of coffee...usually I get somewhere between halfway to three quarters of the way through. I only make as much as I do because I'm the only one who drinks coffee here and it's almost impossible to make a smaller amount taste good in my coffee pot. So I end up wasting a lot of coffee, but until I get another 4 cup coffee pot, I'll just be doing it this way.

After a few emails and blog reading I went to the gym to run four miles and lift.
I think one of the biggest problems I have is cooling down properly. I get all hyped up and have no problems speeding up the pace, but when I need to cool down I end up getting impatient (surprise!) So I forced myself to run at a slow 5.5 pace for five whole minutes after my 4 mile mark to cool down and then I walked for five minutes at 3.5, 3.3, and 3.0 respectively. It was actually a great way to end my run and I think I really need to focus on a longer cool down more often.

Then I stretched (which I didn't need to do as much of since I extended my cool down) and lifted. I made sure to add some new moves to my lifting routine to try and change things up a bit. I have fallen in love with the--is it an reverse crunch machine? It's not even a machine...but you lean forward facing the floor and pull yourself up backwards, working your lower back...then you can move to your sides and do side crunches too...No idea what it's called but I love it! I use a 10 pound weight when I do the regular "facing downward" reverse crunches, and no weights at all for the side crunches simply because I can't balance myself with it. But I feel the burn every time I do it. I do three sets of how every many I can do.

When I came back, I made myself a quick PB and Banana sammie on a small sized WW pita. I used 1 tbsp. PB and the other half of my banana from this morning. It held me over for about two hours.
It seems as if the hardest part of the day for me is the afternoon. I eat breakfast and am very satisfied for usually about 4 hours. But then I eat lunch and I'm not satisfied. I try to keep it small but I end up eating every hour or two until dinner (nothing HUGE; maybe 200 calories at a time spread out over four hours?) Dinner usually holds me over for a few hours but around 9 I usually start getting the munchies...and it's HARD to resist. I am always battling my hunger. What is wrong with me??

I wanted to share this too...
My cats love boxes, as many cats do. But my fat cat Marley loves to squeeze himself into boxes that he obviously can't fit into. We made a purchase from Ebay last week and as soon as the box arrived, Marley was all over it. It was big enough for him to get into but it was just funny how perfectly he fit...



He's a silly guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment