Friday, May 22, 2009

Home again on a Friday night

We don't do much, it's sad but true. We actually have a nice yard but our upstairs neighbors have taken it over with their kids lately so it's hard to enjoy it. Oh well. Stuck inside again on a Friday night. At least I have you guys right? .... right?

Dennis made another kick ass dinner tonight but before that, I went out and found some kale to make a "real" green monster. It took me a while to do this simply because I worked in the restaurant industry for so long that I've always looked at kale as a throw-away garnish. Who knew it didn't taste so bad?

I had a green monster with
  • 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
  • 1/2 cup Nasoya Silken Creations Vanilla soy ... stuff.... I thought it was tofu but was wrong
  • 2 big handfuls of kale
  • ice
I really need a new blender or at least one of those hand held ones because mine sucks.



It wasn't bad tasting, I just wish it would have blended better so I didn't have to chew the kale pieces.

An hour later I had an apple while baking up my dessert (some kind of truffle that I threw together without a recipe...but again, we'll get to that later)

Dennis made Shredded Pork Enchiladas with a Roasted Tomato Sauce. It was SOOO good and surprisingly healthy.
We didn't use the Queso Fresco so we saved out on the calories/fat from that. And I used a smaller 100% whole wheat tortilla so that helped with the portion size as well.



On the side was Arroz Junto (or mixed rice and red beans) that we had made last month and froze for a rainy day. In my family, rice and beans are a staple. So is avocado, which I added after I took the picture but was too lazy to get up again.

For dessert I made a yellow cake truffle.
What I used:

  • 1 box of yellow butter cake mix (but only half of the cake)
  • 1 box instant vanilla pudding
  • 1/2 carton Cool Whip Lite
  • about 15 strawberries
  • 4 low fat graham crackers
I baked the cake as directed and let it cool. Then I cut the cake in half to freeze.
I took 1.5 graham crackers and broke them up into pieces on the bottom of the container
Then I broke the cake into pieces and layered that on top of the graham cracker
Then I put some strawberries on top of that layer
Next I mixed up half of the pudding with half of the Cool Whip and layered that over the strawberries
Repeat once more, and top with one more crumbled graham cracker




It looks gross but it was really good! Dennis was skeptical but he really liked it. I couldn't photograph it in the container because it has colors on it and you can't see through it. Oops! Note to self: buy clear or glass containers for better photographs!

Now we're just hanging out watching baseball and enjoying the nice breeze that's flowing through our house. It's a nice night out there! (for now...65 tomorrow??? What the...)

No comments:

Post a Comment