Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!


Today is my mom's 59th birthday!!



Every year my family has this competition as to who can call the birthday person first. My uncle, who lives in California, has been beating us all for the past few years since he calls right at midnight EST. Most of the time we're already sleeping so he gets a kick out of beating us.
This year, I won...hands down. (although he begs to differ)
She's in Phoenix with my aunt, so I figured since I was still awake at 11:30, I might as well wait until midnight to catch her. So I called her at midnight EST, Monday May 11. My uncle called her three hours later (midnight PST) and said there's no WAY my phone call counts.
Two can play at this game my friend :)

Anyway I hope my mom has a great birthday.

Monday morning eats

I decided to have eggs for breakfast this morning as a change to my morning oats. I brought back an "oldie but goodie" recipe and made an awesome egg white, swiss cheese, spinach, garlic and tomato breakfast sammie.




I used:
  • 3 egg whites
  • sliced tomatoes
  • fresh spinach
  • one slice swiss cheese
  • 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
  • TJ's garlic tahini hummus
  • 2 slices Ezekiel sesame toast
I spread the hummus on the bread instead of butter (which also kept me from having to use ketchup) I cooked the egg whites up like an omelet and placed the garlic, spinach, tomatoes and cheese on top, then placed a cover over the skillet. The eggs came out nice and fluffy and it was almost too filling for me to finish (But that didn't stop me)

I almost used some of the TJ's Baked Tofu I bought yesterday but I think I'm going to save that for a stir fry dinner idea I have brewing.

I didn't go to the yoga class this morning. I actually feel much better than I expected, but I like to give myself a full day off after my long runs. I have to remember that the body NEEDS days off to recover. It's hard to keep me still so taking days off is a battle, but I know it's better for me (and my knees and hips)

I've been reading a lot of reviews of PETA'S Vegan College Cookbook (check out Abbie's review here)
Although I am not vegan or vegetarian, this book has a lot of quick and easy recipe ideas that sound like I'd enjoy them. I need some help with ideas that are quick and easy as well as healthy, so I think I might have to purchase this book.

Now it's off to enjoy my day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment