Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

It was a nice day yesterday and I had all intentions of going downtown and just walking around. I got ready and had a frozen Kashi Chicken Florentine for lunch. I love the frozen Kashi dinners...they're perfectly portioned and full of good stuff. It's nice to have them on hand for those I need good eats now and I'm not in the mood to cook.


However, about an hour after I ate it Dennis and I decided to go run a few errands. Although my Kashi lunch was good, I (again) wasn't completely satisfied. So I made my new favorite snack of banana and PB and we were on our way.

I don't know if it was too much food at once or what but about 10 minutes after I ate the PBB I started feeling sick to my stomach. We ran our errands and ordered Indian from our favorite place (Tantric on Stuart Street) and I figured if I took a nap I'd feel a little better. I attempted to eat my food (Palak Paneer) but I just couldn't do it. Instead, I think I ended up eating about a sleeve and a half of crackers and drank about four mugs of peppermint tea.


My palak paneer with one of the many mugs of peppermint tea

I went to bed and just let myself sleep. I woke up at 9 and felt good so after making all my Mother's Day calls I headed out for my 8.1 mile run around the Charles.

It was really windy but it felt good since it was also really sunny. It was about 70, which I think is perfect running weather. I ran with a bottle of water this time too, just in case.

The first four miles I was rockin it. I didn't have any problems and I was feeling great.
A little after the half way point, however, I started to feel a little achy in the hips. I slowed down a little bit to take a few sips and slowed my pace down since I knew I still had 4 miles to go and I didn't want to hurt myself.

Mile five and six were really hard for me for some reason. I don't know if it was because I was worried that my hips would keep me from finishing or what, but I struggled through those two miles. I looked at my watch and saw that I had been running for an hour and knew I only had about 20 minutes left so I started to pick up my pace. I really need a Garmin! I had to guess how far I was, which is fine, but I didn't want to overdo it with the pace.

It gets to a point where your body just takes over and you don't even realize you're running anymore. I played multiple head games with myself. I had to remind myself that it's not about Time at this point, it's about finishing. Don't worry about how slow you're running, JUST RUN! Who CARES?? You have plenty of time to work on speed!!

When I saw the sign for Trader Joe's (I parked across the street from there-how convenient?) I sprinted...for what was probably about 100 meters. When I was done my MP3 player said I had been running for exactly 1:20:30-9:56 pace. I guess I can't complain about the time, especially since I really was hurting through the last half of it.

8.1 miles down! Woot!

I think next week I'm going to keep the miles down. I see on some 1/2 marathon training programs that one week they'll have you running 10 miles and the next week only 4. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know!

After my run I immediately stretched and ate my PBB sammie that I smartly brought with me. Then I went to Trader Joe's.

I bought some of those Medjool Dates since I've been reading so much about them lately. I tried one when I got home and I'm pretty disappointed--I don't really like them. They're really sweet, and since I bought them I will have to find a recipe I can bake them into.

I'm now relaxing with the BF and watching some weird movie about a dude and his dog.
Enjoy your Sunday and Happy Mother's Day to all your moms out there. And if you haven't already, Call the moms in your life!!

On a kitty note:
Apparently Marley was trying to tell me something...



Hungry much?

No comments:

Post a Comment