Sunday, May 17, 2009

It's official!

I'm all signed up for the Utica Boilermaker 15K July 12. I'm really excited about running this race. First off, it's the longest race I will ever have run (not saying much since the longest race I've ran is a 5K)
Second, it's near my hometown of Norwich, NY and I know many people that will also be running it. I've always been told "You should run the Boilermaker! It's so much fun!" But the thought of running 9.3 miles was a lot for me; I really didn't think I could do it.
But now I know I can.
I'm really psyched.

While I was on the Active.com website to register for the event, I came across this article entitled "Engineered Sport Foods: Convenience or Necessity?
I think it gives a great understanding as to how eating normally can give you the same, if not better results, with a cheaper price tag.

I will admit that I'm a sucker for some of the "sports" foods...I used to drink a lot of Gatorade but stopped when I realized how much sugar was in it. I used to eat Powerbars all the time but finally gave up because I really didn't the taste or texture. On days when I know I won't have time to take food breaks (when I'm on the road, traveling for work, working trade shows, etc.) I will pack Clif bars as a backup, but I don't depend on them to give me the fuel I need for a long workout or a race. Most people develop what works best for them before race time. I personally enjoy either eating my normal bowl of oats (I know, it's strange but it's so comforting to me) or I will eat Kashi GoLean waffles with PB and banana. If just before I start my run I feel like I need a little more of a boost to make it through, I will eat half a Clif bar or a homemade granola bar (I prefer the latter) I came across a recipe on Megan's Munchies for Protien Power Pumpkin Cookies that I will definitely be trying soon in the hopes that they can replace the Clif bar boost I tend to use.

OK so yesterday was my first heated yoga class...and I have to say I'm hooked. But more on that later.

Dennis and I are driving down to Northern New Jersey today. On the way there we're stopping to have dinner with my sister Monique and my nephew and nieces. I will recap my AWESOME yoga class and my even MORE AWESOME 30th birthday dinner in Boston (Tapas anyone?)

Dennis and I finally made the decision to buy a GPS (thank GOD!) We (more like I) always get lost (especially around here) so we're going to try out the new system on our trip--I'm really happy not to have to be the navigator while he's driving. I hate that! It's a Garmin Nuvi 255W (whatever that means) I still need to get that Garmin Forerunner!!

Until later ya'll--Check back for my yoga and birthday updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment