Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lunch by the lake

Well, it wasn't exactly lunch but it was a mid-day snack with my former co-worker Kathy. I had a gift certificate for a pedicure in the town I used to write for and decided to meet up with her for a much needed catch up session. We went to Bellino's Trattoria in Wakefield and hung out on their brand new (just opened today) outdoor patio. We couldn't have any drinks since they need to get a liquor license for the patio (?) so I had an unsweetened iced tea instead.

Backtrack: Before I went to my 1:30 pedicure appointment, I had a piece of toasted cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread with some cottage cheese since I knew I wouldn't be home for a while.



After the pedicure I snacked on a small apple.

Then it was off to catch up with Kathy.

Since it was about 4:00 and I knew Dennis was making a pretty heavy dinner, we decided to share a Mediterranean Chicken salad.

It had chicken breast, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, red onions, spiral pasta, olives, lettuce and tomatoes. Served with really yummy balsamic dressing.



My portion:



I put a little on a small plate...like I said, I knew Dennis was making a heavy dinner...

The combination of flavors was excellent. I really enjoyed it! And as always, catching up with Kathy was fun. We always have a lot to talk about!

I got home around 5:30 and we ate Dennis' cheeseburger and mac salad combo. This turned out awesome!




We had 87% lean burgers with swiss cheese and macaroni salad. His mac salad was really good with onions, red peppers, eggs, carrots, and I added a small amount of my leftover tuna with hummus for some added flavor. It really didn't need it but it was still a good addition (and a great way to bulk up the protein in the pasta without having the need to eat more of the burger)

And then about an hour later I had more birthday cake. I love that we froze the cake in sections so we can spread out how much we eat without feeling obligated to finish it before it goes bad.

At around 9:30 I had a glass of wine.


And about a half hour later I had a bag of 100 calorie 94% fat free butter popcorn and a two handfuls of those Trader Joe peanut butter pretzel bites that I read about on Meghann's blog. Damn those things are addicting! Luckily they are also very filling so it doesn't take me eating half the bag before I realize what hit me.

Tomorrow it's supposed to get into the 90s. I'm planning on spinning at 7:30 instead of running tomorrow because my knee was bothering me today (all of a sudden out of nowhere...strange)

Also, I am going to start reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. Reba gave me the book and I'm really excited to dig into it. It's a reminder of how food was meant to be eaten and how we have exploited that experience by taking away its pleasure and purpose.

Here's just a blurb on what this book is about:

Because most of what we're consuming today is not food, and how we're consuming it -- in the car, in front of the TV, and increasingly alone -- is not really eating. Instead of food, we're consuming "edible foodlike substances" -- no longer the products of nature but of food science. Many of them come packaged with health claims that should be our first clue they are anything but healthy. In the so-called Western diet, food has been replaced by nutrients, and common sense by confusion. The result is what Michael Pollan calls the American paradox: The more we worry about nutrition, the less healthy we seem to become.

In Defense of Food shows us how, despite the daunting dietary landscape Americans confront in the modern supermarket, we can escape the Western diet and, by doing so, most of the chronic diseases that diet causes. We can relearn which foods are healthy, develop simple ways to moderate our appetites, and return eating to its proper context -- out of the car and back to the table. Michael Pollan's bracing and eloquent manifesto shows us how we can start making thoughtful food choices that will enrich our lives, enlarge our sense of what it means to be healthy, and bring pleasure back to eating.

I believe we have become obsessed with food and body image (read Caitlin's post about stopping the Fat Talk.) I will admit I am guilty of it too...how do you think this blog began? I was desperately seeking a way to feel better about myself and my eating habits. I knew deep down inside there was a way to learn how to eat the right way (and this is something I am still learning.) It's really hard when you're living with someone who doesn't necessarily have the same habits as you, but I'm doing the best I can. Since I started eating more whole and balanced foods I have felt so much better...physically and mentally. I'm not perfect and I still eat things that are considered "bad" but honestly I work hard and I shouldn't have to give up anything I don't want to. We all know moderation is the key. I say balance is the key. Staying balanced and whole is the way to being happy.

So on that note, enjoy your night.

No comments:

Post a Comment