Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Not so sure about the tempeh

I tried to substitute tempeh for the chicken in my chicken fricassee recipe. Dennis hated it and I thought it was OK. I had to add a lot of seasoning to it before I was able to stomach it. I’m not giving up on it yet but at first try, I wasn’t too impressed.

IMG_2178
I love avocado. It adds so much to a meal. But here’s the up close and personal view, minus the avocado:

IMG_2174
Like I said, I think I just need to get used to the texture; and adding a little more flavor than I normally would might definitely help.

Tempeh Fricassee

8 oz. tempeh
1/2 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup of diced red potatoes (I leave the skin on)
1cup sliced (bite-sized) baby carrots
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
4 cups organic vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt, pepper, garlic and oregano to taste

I actually used the Crockpot this time, so I cut up the onion and garlic and sautéed them in olive oil for 5 minutes, and then added the wine. Then I transferred them to the Crockpot.
Next I cooked up the tempeh for about 5 minutes on each side.
Then I added the tempeh along with everything else to the Crockpot and cooked on low for 8 hours. When I got home I cooked up a quick pot of white rice (I didn’t have time to make brown)

So far my week has been going as planned. I took yesterday off from working out and work as well since I had to take Dennis to a doctor’s appointment. All is well, so that made my day. Then I had to spend $200 to get my car fixed…temporarily. I had a hole in my muffler/tailpipe so they patched it up to spare me the $600 it will cost to get the entire thing changed. This, they say, will last up to 2 years. Hopefully by then I’ll have a more steady situation and can fork it up.

Tonight after my so-so dinner, I went to the gym for a 32 (2 miles) minute power walk on the treadmill on a 10% incline. Wow. I started out at 3.7 and worked my way up to 4.0 and man did this kick my butt! Then I used the foam roller (at the gym, yes gross, but it’s better than nothing right now) Honestly, I wore pants, and I also wiped it down before I used it. I used it on both legs, but I can definitely feel the difference between using it on the “Good side” vs. the bad side. I also did my PT moves and some ab/arm work on the balance ball. I started slacking with the strength training since I’ve been focusing on running outside, so I wanted to force myself to get back to the gym so I can weight train. I always feel better when I lift!

I’m happy to say that even after the long run on Sunday and my struggles for the rest of the night, I was pain free all day yesterday and today. My knee does not hurt, I don’t ache, and I didn’t limp at all. I did have some hamstring tightness/soreness but other than that I’m feeling great! I’m so ready to kick ass at this race. OH and I also found out that we have 2 hours to run our 15K, not 1:30, so I’m feeling much better about that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment