Monday, June 15, 2009

Beware of the black bean soup

I woke up super early this morning but since my knee was feeling a little tight this morning I thought it was best to take today off. I try to take off the day after my long runs, but  since I really like my early morning spin teacher, I try to make it to her class. Last time I did that, however, my knee was bothering me the entire time and I couldn’t enjoy the workout. So this time I decided to lay low.

It’s funny how even though I was up early, I still left the house late! I had to run 2 1/2 blocks to catch my train this morning! I guess that’s what happens when you start messing around online in the morning.

I started out my day with a small portion of overnight oats.

  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1/3 cup soy milk
  • 2 teaspoons flax
  • 1/2 banana

And coffee that I took with me to go and surprisingly did not spill on myself while I was running.

I packed a nice lunch today of a mini green monster that I dug into at 10:30

IMG_1955

  • 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 2 tsp. flax
  • 2 handfuls spinach

And then at around 12:30 I decided to dig into lunch

IMG_2065

Amy’s Organics Low Fat Black Bean Vegetable soup with a cup of brown rice.
This is normally a kick ass lunch for me but today I was only able to make it about 3/4 of the way through before I ended up with terrible heartburn.

IMG_2066

This has happened to me before. Sometimes the veggies in soup give me terrible heartburn. I felt like crap the rest of the day. I did manage to eat a 100 calorie pack of Chips Ahoy cookie crisps (although that honestly was not a great idea but I really needed something sweet after the veggies.

After two cups of peppermint tea I started to feel a little better. Since I had taken out some chicken for dinner, I knew I had to make it, so even though my stomach was a little off I cooked up one of my favorite family recipes: Chicken Fricassee.

This recipe is very versatile. If you’re a vegetarian you can omit the chicken and add tempeh instead. I was actually thinking of giving this recipe to Jenna for her cookbook…so I might have to hold off on giving it to you right now…but here’s what it looks like:

IMG_2067  IMG_2070 IMG_2068

It’s been a while since I’ve made it but it was so good! It’s quick and easy to make too!

For dessert I had a blueberry yogurt parfait

IMG_2072

  • I used about a 1/2 frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup 1 % Greek yogurt (I actually mix equal parts 2% and 0% together and assume it’s 1%)
  • 2 crumbled low fat graham crackers

It was really great! But I really got too excited for dessert. I felt a little better after eating dinner but should not have attempted to eat anything more. UGH!  I’ve already drank more peppermint tea and made one date with Pepto Bismol. I’m sure to make another before I go to bed.

My plan for tomorrow is to go to the 5:45 spin class and lift some weights before work at 9, so I’m going to bed ASAP. I have a really hard time sleeping on Sunday nights…no matter how early I try to go to bed, I end up tossing and turning all night long. I spent half the night looking at the clock and trying to drown out Dennis’s breathing to the radio.
Now don’t get me wrong--he doesn’t snore (well, sometimes he does but not usually) and he really doesn’t breathe loud, but when I can’t sleep, I feel like he’s a super loud dragon breathing all over me….I can’t explain it…I know it’s in my head but that’s how I feel when I can’t sleep!! Stupid Sunday nights!

Do you find it harder to sleep the night before your week begins??

Have a great night ya’ll!!

No comments:

Post a Comment