Monday, June 22, 2009

Spinning and yoga bad for IT band problems??

I will definitely have more information about this tomorrow but so far, I’m being told that until I am able to get my IT band stretched out and under control I should stay away from spinning (or cycling of any kind) and yoga. I met up with another Harvard athletic trainer today and she cringed when I told her I was incorporating spinning and yoga into my training for my 15K next month.

What did she suggest?

Well, she recommended a few things. First I MUST stop spinning and yoga for a while. Although I was shocked, I will have to admit I’m a little relieved. I love spinning but the last few times I’ve gone it really has hurt my knee. And yoga always hurts my knees. There are a lot of moves that aggravate the pain so I either have to do a major modification of the move or just go into child’s pose because I can’t handle it.
She also suggested that I start running in the pool and using the pool as my “next best friend” outside of running. I’m meeting her tomorrow to get more information on how I should train for the next three weeks up to my 15K and the next few months as I continue to race and train for my major goal of the year: the 1/2 marathon. She also mentioned a kind of orthotics called “Superfeet” (which you can get at EMS) that I will be purchasing tomorrow. I have to bring in my running sneakers to have them see which ones would work with the shoe and the gait of my feet.

And, I have to also definitely buy my own foam roller. This is something I need to do since I am skeeved out by using the one at the gym. These things along with a few PT exercises and some other things will help get me on my way to being pain free and ONLY THEN will I be able to get back into things like yoga and spinning. And you know what? I’m OK with giving those things up if it means I can run pain free.

I will give you more details tomorrow when I meet with them. There is so much more I need to learn!

Eats!

IMG_2121

First I wanted to tell you that yesterday I tried the Peanut Butter & Co Cinnamon Raisin Swirl in a bowl of regular oats and I really didn’t like it. I’m sorry guys, it’s just not for me. I thought I’d enjoy the sweet in my oatmeal but it was just too much for me. I am still willing to try the maple PB but I won’t be surprised if I didn’t like it simply because I just don’t like my PB to be sweet. I hate using Skippy, Jif, or anything like that and not to compare them to Peanut Butter & Co (this is all natural) but I just don’t like all the sugar.

Dennis made a KICK ASS pulled pork dinner in honor of one of our favorite restaurants: The Dinosaur Bar B Que.
We LOVE this place. There are three locations: Rochester, Syracuse,and Harlem so we don’t ever get to eat there anymore but we bought the cookbook and try our darnedest to replicate their amazing dishes.
Dennis goes to town when he makes this pulled pork. He uses a pork shoulder and the Dinosaur BBQ rub but instead of smoking it (since we don’t have a smoker) he cooks it for 8 hours in the Crock Pot. With Boston Baked Beans (of course!) and cornbread that he let me make since I love to bake, it our dinner was Rockin!

IMG_2122 IMG_2123

I don’t make sandwiches like most people do…I just mix everything together. Yup..I mix the beans, pork, and BBQ sauce together, crumble up the corn bread on top and eat it together. I think it’s fantastic. Definitely not something we do everyday but it’s been cool and rainy here so it was a nice and comforting way to end my day.

For dessert I had fresh fruit with a dab of yogurt (a mango and a small apple sprinkled with cinnamon)

IMG_2125

And throughout the day I munched on things that I couldn’t get pictures of because I was meeting with people all day and I had to eat fast. I had a baked potato with plain yogurt and sprouts, a graham cracker with Nutella (when I got home I was starving and I needed something sweet) some honey pretzels (and by SOME I mean … ehem … an entire snack bag…they’re just that good!) and an apple. Oh and this was my treat of the day: (well, aside from my graham cracker and Nutella)

IMG_2124

It’s like a green monster but without the work. I really had to take a break from the GM’s because I was getting sick from the raw spinach, but I was missing them. This was a great replacement.

I promise I’ll be back tomorrow with more detailed information about what my new workout routine is going to be like until I get this IT band issue under control. Now I just have to get myself a bathing suit, cap, goggles…this is going to be an expensive week :(

No comments:

Post a Comment