Sunday, June 7, 2009

Run, interrupted

I was so ready for my 9.2 mile run today. I had the entire route mapped out, I was properly fueled, I had my water, sunscreen was applied…well, you get the picture. I drove out to my normal parking spot across from Trader Joe’s on Memorial Drive, walked about a half mile to where I was supposed to start (which was a good warm-up actually) and began running. It was a gorgeous day—not too hot, but very sunny. That caught up to me later.

The problem was that I was running in the opposite direction of the way I normally run, which completely threw me off. While I was running I lost track of how many bridges I was supposed to cross before I turn around and ended up turning at the wrong bridge. I didn’t realize it until it was too late, and by then there was no turning back. I was so irritated but decided to go with it anyway. The only problem I have with running the Charles is that there is anywhere between .8 miles and 2.4 miles between any given turnaround, and I wasn’t exactly sure how much more there was for me to go after I hit what should have been the end of my run. Not to mention that not every bridge/street is labeled so I didn’t know where I was exactly. So frustrating.
So I stopped and walked back to my car for my post run snack. I only ended up running 5.5 miles. I was so disappointed but hey, shit happens right? Next time I’ll go the other way so I’ll know where I’m going.

My post run fuel was an apple and half of a raw almond butter on cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread. Oh, and a medium iced coffee with soy milk at Starbucks. No pictures for either because I was being a brat and pouting…haha

I got some GOOD EATS at Trader Joe’s!! Check it out:

IMG_1904  IMG_1907

I can’t wait to try this sprouted mix in my salad. This was recommended to me by one of the friendly TJ’s employees.

IMG_1908

I’ve been dying to try this sausage. I’m not a huge sausage girl but it’s mostly because it’s too greasy. This combo sounds so good! I can’t wait to grill this up on the barbie.

IMG_1909

I’m actually cooking up a serving of this as we speak for tomorrow’s lunch. Sucks though because a serving is 3 ravioli which is 200 calories. I decided to cook just the three and make sure to bring some snackies to enjoy with it.

IMG_1910

The pea shoots were also recommended to me by the same TJ’s employee. I’m all about putting these in a hummus wrap!

After I got home we decided a homemade pizza was in order. I had one hell of a time getting the dough to work but dammit, I was determined to win the battle. And win I did indeed. Check out this bad boy:

IMG_1914

Before I knew it I ate two slices of pizza without taking a picture…oops! (yes it was THAT good)
I didn’t put any veggies on it but here’s what I used:

  • Store bought pizza dough (I cheated a little but I still had to roll this out and fight to make it work)
  • 1 ball of fresh mozzarella
  • about an ounce or so of crumbled goat cheese (to use up the rest)
  • leftover KERF tomato sauce….this made the pizza SOOO GOOD

The sauce is so chunky and since it’s all just fresh tomatoes, it worked so well with this pizza. And the goat cheese added a different flavor/texture to it. It was fantastic!
I had this with a glass of Pinot Noir.

IMG_1913

And this AWESOME pig shaped sugar cookie from my favorite bakery on Route 1 in Saugus (more to come soon!)

My lovely neighbors (you guys ROCK!) went to an organic farm stand today and brought me back some fresh goodies! 

IMG_1919

  • Fresh beets
  • Strawberries
  • Spinach
  • Tomatoes

They couldn’t believe I had never had fresh beets, so they were sure to get me some to try. (they’re in the oven as we speak) and they also suggested I cook up the greens from the beets and put them on top when I eat them! I’m so excited for these fresh, organic and locally grown goodies and am so grateful they thought of me!

At around 8 it was snack time since we ate dinner at 4:30, so I decided to put my new strawberries to good use.

  • 1/2 vanilla 0% Chobani
  • 1/4 cup granola
  • 1/4 cup Newman’s Own Sweet Enough Honey Flax cereal

IMG_1921

The strawberries were hiding at the bottom…they were so fresh and sweet!!

So I’m going to attempt a 5:45 spin class tomorrow morning, since my favorite instructor teaches it. It’s been tough getting to the gym after work because I have to fight the traffic to get there in time to set up the bike and it’s hard to do. I’ve never gotten up THAT early to work out—I used to get up at 6 to be at the gym by 6:30, so this is going to be a challenge. But I really love working out in the morning…getting it done in the morning revitalizes me, I have energy all day, and honestly—knowing it’s done is always a good feeling!

Night ya’ll!

No comments:

Post a Comment