Thursday, June 4, 2009

My body, it is a-changin’

If you’ve read my profile, you’d know that a year ago I started really focusing on making daily changes toward a healthier me. I started working out five-six times a week regularly and slowly added strength training to my workouts. Then I started working toward adding balance.

I did a lot of research to learn about how not only to balance my workouts (i.e. figuring out that I can’t run five days a week anymore since my knee is weak, in turn, forcing myself to “like” the elliptical machine..ugh) and understanding how to balance my eating habits. I firmly believe that you can’t truly change yourself physically if you can’t do it mentally.

One I got into the swing of things, I figured I had it all figured out….I was losing weight, getting fit, and feeling great! And then, in a flash, something was different. I swear to you, as soon as my 30th birthday hit last month, everything I knew went out the window. Like that. Seriously.

My skin has been INSANE. The week before my birthday, I gained five pounds and broke out worse than I have since I was a teenager…and this happened overnight. It seemed as if the more “good” food I ate, the more bloated I got. I got some Beano on the advice of my doctor and that only works to get rid of gas (sometimes) but not the bloat.

I have been working really hard to figure out a new balance, but I feel like I’m starting all over again. Veggies are killing my body right now but I know how good they are for me so I’m still eating them. However, my Green Monster made me very sick this afternoon…the same sick feeling I felt on Monday’s post after I ate that salmon salad. Now what do I do?

I bought a new line of facial cleansers too from The Body Shop and will be tracking my skin to see if it works.

IMG_1861 IMG_1867

IMG_1871 IMG_1869

I’ve had some friends rave to me about tea tree oil, so I hope this works.

I also have a friend who emailed me some info on IBS (God forbid) so I’m going to have to figure out ways to get the same nutrition without eating the veggies that make me gassy and bloated (spinach, cukes, lettuce, asparagus, etc.)

If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know!

Breakfast was one of my oldie but goodies: Kashi Go Lean waffles with PB and 0% vanilla Chobani and 1/2 a nanner:

IMG_1873 IMG_1874

I love this combination…I honestly can make the PB/yogurt/banana combo work in so many different ways and I’m never disappointed.

This held me over for just about four hours, which is good in my book.

Lunch was a repeat of yesterday’s TJ’s tabouli, but I added about 3 oz. baked tofu to add to the density since it didn’t fill me up for too long yesterday. It worked!

IMG_1877

And more pineapple!

IMG_1856

This time though, I was only able to finish half the pineapple. I finished the other half about an hour later.

At about 2:30 I had a pumpkin power cookie

And at around 4 I had the green monster. I couldn’t even finish it because about 3/4 of the way my stomach started turning. Weird.

Then I went to the gym for my 6:30 spin class. My stomach was still a little off but I didn’t go on Tuesday so I was determined to go today. I ate another power cookie before I left.

I love my spin teacher. I always get a kick ass workout with her, and I like how she works on hills work and endurance which I’m sure will help me improve my runs.

I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to eat dinner but after a long, hot shower, my stomach started to feel a little better, so I made a veggie wrap.

  IMG_1880

  • 1-10 inch whole wheat wrap
  • Hummus
  • 1 tbsp pinto beans
  • 1 vine tomato
  • 1 romaine leaf
  • 1 oz. goat cheese

And a side of baby carrots

 IMG_1878

It was perfect!

I’m drinking some peppermint tea (surprise!) And I’m so glad tomorrow is Friday!

What do you know about our bodies being on a cycle? Set to change every 7 or 8 years or so? Perhaps this is what is happening to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment