Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Playing with pumpkins (in June?)

I woke up with a nasty migraine this morning that is still lingering at 8 p.m. I stayed home for most of the day since the pounding gets worse with every step I take, so I used being inside to my advantage…I messed around with pumpkin. 

I know pumpkins are usually a fall ingredient but I always have a can of pumpkin in my cupboard. And since the heat kicked on at 4 a.m. because it so chilly last night, I felt it was appropriate.

I started by adding pumpkin and all its glory to an oatmeal pancake. I used the original recipe but added 1/3 cup pumpkin too.

  • 1/3 oats
  • 1/3 egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • cinnamon to taste
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin
  • 1/3 cup soy milk (totally by accident)

Adding the milk was such a ditzy move because it’s not part of the recipe. But I’m so used to putting milk in my oatmeal and I didn’t realize what I did until it was too late. So I had to add another 1/3 cup of oats to even out the liquid, and I think they turned out OK. I had to split the recipe, so I had enough for another pancake … that I ended up eating for lunch so it didn’t go to waste. (Lame, I know)

With one tbsp natural peanut butter and a scoop of 0% vanilla Chobani, 1/2 banana and some peppermint tea

IMG_1832 

Times two since I ate the EXACT same thing for lunch four hours later.

After the pancakes, I decided to continue with the pumpkin theme and try the Pumpkin Power Pumpkin cookies from Megan’s Munchies. Instead of 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, I used 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup raisins. I can’t wait to try one before tomorrow morning’s run!  (oh yes it’s all planned out!)

IMG_1839

Before I made the cookies, I had to run out to get more oatmeal. As soon as I walked in I saw these gorgeous pineapples were on sale for $2.99!! I just HAD to have one!

IMG_1838

I was so excited!! I sliced up this bad boy immediately and had a few pieces of it. So fresh, juicy and sweet! I love me some pineapple.

I attempted to go to the gym for my much loved 6:30 spinning class but my head was pounding so hard that I figured I’d lay down instead. I’m going to take some Benadryl soon because I know this migraine is part of my allergies kicking in  (part of why the summer sucks for me) I’ve been avoiding it all day though because that stuff knocks me out!

I will write about my dinner tomorrow—I made a special Puerto Rican appetizer per Dennis’ request. It was my first time making them and I think they deserve their own post.

Tomorrow I’ll be back at Harvard…

No comments:

Post a Comment