Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Couscous. Who Knew?

Obviously I didn’t.

So I went out to lunch with a co-worker yesterday and ordered a kick ass salad for lunch. It had grilled chicken, mango, grapes, goat cheese, pecans, and couscous.

mango chix salad coastal flats

I devoured that salad like it was my last supper (it was really good!) and went about my business for the rest of the day.

Then…sometime later…it hit me. Gas pain. Massive bloating. That really uncomfortable feeling that I had before I gave up gluten. It lasted all night and all day today. I’m still feeling it. So I looked up the ingredients of the salad and Googled couscous.

A-HA! Couscous is made with WHEAT! What a dummy I am! I didn’t know.

But what I do know is that gluten was the only thing I’ve eliminated from my diet that seemed to make me feel better. And as soon as I ate it again-BAM! That gross feeling came back.

The description of my symptoms is not doing the way I feel justice. What I can tell you is that it’s not normal and I am glad to have found the source.  I’m grateful for that – living through Dennis’s Ulcerative Colitis has taught me that it can ALWAYS be worse.

Hope you’re all enjoying your week!

1 comment: