Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Dessert on a whim

I’m not exactly sure what made me want to have dessert tonight since I haven’t really been feeling 100%, but I always have a sweet tooth after eating dinner. Since I’m trying to stay away from gluten, I don’t have many dessert choices in my house.

I took a banana, peanut butter, and some gluten free chocolate chips and made this:

IMG_0426

I melted a tbsp of chocolate chips and spread it onto of the PB. The only problem was that it was too sweet; I think I used too much chocolate. But I think for a normal person, this would be perfect.

IMG_0428

It was really good.

For dinner I made a grilled cheese sammich with garlic hummus and sprouts with steamed asparagus and a chopped tomato. I drizzled a tiny tiny bit of olive oil on the asparagus and tomato, and sprinkled some garlic powder on top.

IMG_0424  IMG_0425

I really really like this Food For Life Brown Rice Gluten Free bread.

Food for Life GF bread

If I find out that my problem is not a gluten issue, I will continue to buy this bread. I love how it’s sweetened with fruit juice. It’s really good. I’m a huge fan of the Food For Life products-mainly the Ezekiel line, so I’m really glad that this bread did not disappoint.

Team Challenge Update:

I know I’ve said it before, but the foam roller is an amazing little invention. After last Saturday’s 8 mile run with my running group, I started feeling a slight pain in my hip area (which I complained about a few weeks ago.) I took Sunday off and then Monday morning, I ran 5 miles. However, it was still bothering me toward the end of the run. So the trainer at my gym asks, “Well, have you ever used a foam roller?”
Why yes, I have actually! I just haven’t used it for this because I didn’t know exactly what to roll.

30 seconds later I was on the floor rolling the crap out of quads. I started by the hip and the worked my way down until I felt an area that was tight. Yup, that’s where it hurts…right in my middle outer quad area. It’s so strange how a tight muscle in the quad can cause pain in my hip.

Long story short, I’ve been using it every day and the pain is pretty much gone. The foam roller has cured my knee problem  (I was diagnosed with Patello-Femoral Syndrome in 1998, but found out last summer—11 years later—that my problem was a tight IT band. Read the recap on that here and here the people in Harvard’s athletic department are amazing) and now this mystery hip thing. Thank you foam roller!!

2 comments:

  1. oooh that bread looks great! Our GF options in Australia are limited, and taste pretty bad unless they are toasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dessert idea, I'll def. try that one.
    My contribution to the team in training is coming soon girlie!
    Gotta get me one of those foam rollers . . . next month is a doosie for me!

    ReplyDelete