Sunday, March 14, 2010

Springing forward with Teff on the mind

Although I hate losing an hour of sleep, I love daylight savings time. Love it. I especially loved putting the clocks up when I was a bartender. Everyone would get so pissed that we were closing an hour early, but it was so worth it.

I fought the urge not to go back to sleep after feeding the cats this morning when I remembered I had something new to try for breakfast. Teff!

I read about Teff on HEAB’s blog a while back and have been anxiously waiting to try it. I came across it by accident yesterday and was so excited, I immediately sent her a text letting her know I found it. It took everything I had not to rip the bag open as soon when I got home from the store to try it. I know it might sound weird but I love hot cereals. Trying new things is so exciting for me, especially when I read so many great reviews from other people.

The consistency of Teff reminds me of Wheatena.

Wheatena

I used to eat it when I was a kid, so I was pretty excited to dive into this.

I cooked 1/4 cup Teff with 1 cup unsweetened soymilk, and added some cinnamon to flavor.

Teff1

source

Then I mixed in a spoonful of Peanut Butter & Co.’s Cinnamon Raison Swirl. I don’t use this peanut butter very often because it’s so sweet but it’s really good in small doses.

My photos came out really crappy, so I borrowed the photo above to show you what it looks like. It’s very grainy, and it has a very unique flavor to it. It gets a thumbs up from me. My next experimental grain is definitely going to be millet.

Here are some other HEABified eats from the week: 

IMG_0449

My friend Gina made me an awesome batch of hummus last week. It’s seriously the best hummus I’ve ever had. I’ve been making my way through the container since I already put in a request for more, but I was running out of ways to eat it. Until I remembered Humnut sauce.

IMG_0450  IMG_0451

You can read all about Humnut sauce here. This idea sounded very interesting to me when I first read Heather’s post about it. I steamed a package of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots (except I always take the carrots out and eat them raw while the other two are steaming because I don’t like cooked carrots) and topped them with 2 tbsp. of Gina’s amazing hummus and 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast mixed with a little water to thin, and a little bit of garlic powder. Underneath all those veggies is a cup of brown rice.

I also made my own coconut butter. But that is something I’ll save for tomorrow since I want to get my long run in before it starts pouring again.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment