Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Is gluten the problem?

gluten free

Hi all. I’m writing this in a sad, sad way right now, but I think it might have to be done.

I think I might have a problem with gluten. I really need some advice and help with this.

I’ve been suffering for a long time with bloating, irregularity, abdominal discomfort, gas, and many other symptoms that can be correlated to gluten allergies. I didn’t know that ADD, anxiety, Sinusitis (which I get every year-I have terrible sinus problems) Migraines (which I get a lot in the summertime and I think is sinus related) were related to gluten allergies. I also read that many people who suffer from gluten allergies have type O blood, which I have. There are many other symptoms I noticed that I don’t share, but there are others that I do. I’m not sure that gluten is the problem but it’s the only thing I haven’t tried to eliminate from my diet. Let’s face it—I LOVE bread, BEER, and OATMEAL!! Man I’m in for a real challenge. But you know, if I can feel normal again, it will be worth it.

These problems all started when I was a baby. My mom told me horror stories – I even spent some time in the hospital. I’ve had irregular bowel movements my entire life.  And since I’ve been relying on Pepto Bismol to help me fall asleep at night (is it normal to get heartburn from crackers and oatmeal?) I think now is the time to try something new.

I know many of you guys are gluten free. What were the symptoms you were feeling? Did you see a doctor or did you try eliminating things on your own? How long did it take for you to start feeling better? And how the hell am I going to deal with not being able to eat my daily bowl of steel cut oats????

oatmeal
Oh how I will miss you….

2 comments:

  1. Hi there :)
    I suffered from similar symptoms for years and years. I went and had a blood test for coeliac disease - which came back clear. I then had a colonoscopy and endoscopy - and saw a gastroenterologist - who checked for various food allergies / intolerances - and I was diagnosed as suffering from a wheat intolerance. So, I am not intolerant to gluten (which I understand is a proetin), but wheat - which is obvioulsy a grain. Although this means I can no longer enjoy wheat breads, beer etc - oats are wheat free (but not gluten free) so I am still able to enjoy them. Since removing wheat from my diet I have noticed a HUGE difference. Gone is the lethargy, bloating, tummy problems and general sickness. I recommend you go and see you doctor and get him to run some blood tests! From there - it is a process of elimination. Hope that helps? If you have any questions feel free to email me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Lisa said. While there are many people who do not need to be on a gluten-free diet (unfortunately, it has become "trendy" to be gluten-free) I think in your case, since we've had some convos about your symptoms, it's worth a try. I'd do exactly what Lisa said: see an professional to get the blood test for celiac and allergies.

    ReplyDelete