Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One step closer

So I finally made an appointment to see an internal doctor today on Friday. “Finally!” is what you’re probably thinking right? Well, truth be told, I really don’t like doctors.

Well, I wouldn’t say I don’t like them—I just don’t trust them. I just feel like they’re too quick to throw a name at whatever you might have wrong with you and try to medicate you rather than actually LISTENING to your problems and try to help you find the source.

True story: I had a primary doctor 5 years ago that tried to give me Prozac because I mentioned I was having a stressful day. I was a newspaper reporter at the time and yes, I was stressed by  my job at times … I had deadlines every day. But I loved the job and never felt overwhelmed about it—maybe about meeting a huge deadline or interviewing a political figure but never about the job itself. Anyway, he wrote me a prescription for Prozac and convinced me that it was OK to take it. Just because I’m a naturally high energy and anxious person does not mean I need to take meds (I never filled the prescription) This happened more than once, not just with this doctor and not just this situation.

I must admit that I’m also a little jaded after everything Dennis and I went through with his UC. I would just rather try to take care of things as naturally as possible, but since my stomach issues have been going on for … well … my entire life…I think it’s time to finally get some real answers. (FYI I have tried to get answers before but since it comes and goes my doctors never really paid too much attention to it)

So there you have it. I’m finally going to see a real live doctor on Friday and I’ll be sure to let you know all about it. 

I have been feeling slightly better since eating gluten free, and my face/skin is finally starting to clear up. It’s just been very frustrating trying to figure things out on my own. I’m ready for some answers. Real ones.

So one thing I’m wondering is if there is something I should be sure to mention or look for or ask about while I’m there. Sometimes I get nervous when I’m at my doctor appointments and I forget to mention things. Should I make a list? Should there be a list of questions I should ask? I just want to be sure I don’t get rushed out of another doctor’s office.

1 comment:

  1. I think making a list of things to ask is a great idea! I am not a big fan of doctors either - but sometimes they can't be avoided. Good luck girl :)

    ReplyDelete