Monday, January 17, 2011

Breakfast Quinoa

I am so excited to have been able to restore the pictures from this a-MAZING breakfast recipe I got from Heidi at 101 Cookbooks. I was so excited to share this with you all, especially since I’ve been trying to experiment with using different grains at breakfast.

IMG_1223

One thing about food blogs is that you get so many ideas for new ways to try old things. I simply Google an ingredient and so many recipes will come to me. The best part is that most of them are from blogs I already read and love, which makes it even better.

IMG_1225

I also needed to get out of my oats with bananas and peanut butter rut. I mean, I still love them, but a girl needs a little variety in her life, you know what I’m sayin’?

IMG_1220

Once you try things out, you can then fiddle around to make the recipe your own.  You can find the original recipe here. 

I changed it up by using things I already had in the house.

SERVES 2

  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
  • A little less than 1/4 pecans, toasted
  • Coconut butter (just a bit  for some added sweet and creaminess)

Combine milk, quinoa and cinnamon in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium low heat and let simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. (I don’t cover my quinoa because every time I do, it bubbles over, so I just let it cook with the cover off and it’s fine.) Take off heat and let stand for five minutes. While the quinoa is simmering, toast the pecans on a dry skillet for about 4 minutes.

HERE IS A TIP:

I make this the night before and reheat in the morning. When I re-heat, I add a small amount of milk to help fluff it up a bit. Then I add a small squirt of coconut nectar, and a little bit of coconut butter.

IMG_1226

It’s a little untraditional but filling and oh so tasty. It’s my new go-to and a definite must-try!

No comments:

Post a Comment