Sunday, September 13, 2009

It’s football season…healthified

My dad used to say that there are four seasons in a year: Baseball, football, basketball and hockey. I agree, except this is how it works in my book: Fall = football (and soccer—can’t forget about that since I spent 20 years of my life playing soccer), spring = baseball, and it all kicks off with March Madness. That’s right my friends, I don’t count the seasons by weather, I count them by sport. And right now, it’s football season. My dad taught me right! (It’s no wonder I’m so miserable from February through March…after the Superbowl I have to wait 2 1/2 cold and dreary months for March Madness!)

So along with football season (Go Giants!) comes football eats. We used to order in pizza and wings every Sunday with a couple of beers. Add the blue cheese on the wings, and you’re in for a really fattening 17 Sundays in a row. This year, I will continue the pizza tradition but healthified. (Is this even a word??) You’ve all seen my many photos of pizza so this will be nothing new to you.

His side: Onions and fresh mozzarella.

IMG_0171

My side: Onions, mushrooms, arugula, spinach, goat cheese.

IMG_0170 
When we move I’ll attempt to make some healthified  (skinless, butterless and not fried) chicken wings. Since most of our stuff is packed so I can’t do much cooking right now.  I’ll also more than likely pass on the beer…or at least only have one instead of three or four.

I realize that all my food is the same and that I eat very similarly to the other food bloggers out there, and I apologize somewhat for that. It’s hard because once I find something I like, I stick to it. I’ve seriously been eating oatmeal for breakfast every day for about 3 years now. It’s what works for me and I love eating it. I will keep trying new recipes as much as possible and only post the ones that are new. You can just assume, then, that anything I don’t post are things I eat regularly.

Before the games began, I decided to take advantage of the last few days I have left in the Boston area and headed off to the Charles River for a run. It was my first run outside since my injury and I won’t lie, I was a little nervous. 

I will admit, I struggled a little. It’s always different running on pavement than on the treadmill, especially with the sun beaming down on you.
At around mile 3 I took a 30 second walk/water break because I was really feeling hot and thirsty. I remembered during my 15K how Ann made me stop and walk at three water stations for about 30 seconds to regroup and in the end, it really got me through. Since I spent 6 weeks recovering with no running at all and have slowly been adding mileage back in for the past two, I shouldn’t be ashamed of taking a short break.

When I was finally done, I was nothing short of relieved. But holy crap, when I saw that I ran 4.3 miles in 38:46 (9 minute mile exactly) I realized that I actually am still running faster now than I did before I started training for my 15K.

In February, I went to visit my mom and aunt in Chandler, AZ. She lives in a really cute 55+ retirement community with a 2 mile running loop around a golf course. I ran two laps (4 miles) around the golf course 4 days out of the 7 that I was there and at a consistent 9:35 pace. It’s not that big of a pace change but it’s enough for me to feel damn good. Go me!

Although I still don’t think I’ll be ready to run the 1/2 marathon I wanted to run in December, I’m thinking I’ll sign up for a 5K and 10K sometime this fall. (Turkey trot maybe?) I’ve been blessed with the ability to keep up my strength even after getting hurt. Even though I have to start all over again, I’m happy that I can run again.

After my run, I refueled with an awesome portabella mushroom, spinach, and goat cheese 2 egg white and one yolk omelet.

IMG_0160 

And a peach (not photographed but really good!!)

Anyone in the DC area interested in forming an indoor soccer league this winter? I would love to get an indoor team together, so I’ll have to start harassing people now.

Enjoy your Sunday night everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! If you're driving back down to NOVA soon, let me know! I live in MD south of Baltimore off of I-95. You guys should totally make a pitstop for dinner or lunch :)

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete