Saturday, September 26, 2009

Believe in the peppermint tea

peppermint tea
Source

I’m not sure if it was my lovely dinner from last night or what, but today my stomach has been completely off. I know I’ve written about how too many veggies at once can upset my stomach, but it’s usually with green vegetables. Maybe the spaghetti squash with eggplant was too much all at once? Or maybe it’s just the stress from the crazy month we’ve had with moving and getting adjusted? Or both?

Either way, peppermint tea came to my rescue. Well, for the most part…

I was on the move all day today. I got up and started cleaning the kitchen from last night’s dinner. After giving myself a rest I ran down to the gym and lifted. When I was ready to run home, I saw it was raining pretty hard so I called Dennis for a ride home. Since getting a ride home meant not running as much as I wanted, I decided to do a quick speed workout on the treadmill while waiting for him. The run there is 1.8 miles which took me 17 minutes. Then I ran one mile at an 8:30 pace and cooled down for five minutes. Perfect timing.

When I got home I was pretty hungry so I ate my leftover spaghetti squash and eggplant. Ugh. I think that might have put me over the edge. It was SO GOOD though. <sigh> After a few hours of feeling like garbage, I decided to rummage through our kitchen for my beloved peppermint tea.

Peppermint tea rocks. I have some friends that swear by ginger but it doesn’t help me like peppermint does. 

What sucks is that I had planned on making chicken fajitas for dinner…ummm no thanks. They’ll have to wait until tomorrow.

On a running note, I went through my Active.com account and found a good handful of races coming up in October, November and December. I have decided to walk away from the 1/2 marathon for Chrons and Colitis this December and concentrate more on smaller races to help better prepare myself for the 1/2 next spring. Since I’m still coming off an injury I think this would be better for me.

Here’s what I have lined up to register for:

  • October 11 – Boo! Run for Life 10K, Washington, DC
  • November 1 – 34th Annual Rockville 10K (and 5K) Rockville MD (there are some people out there—you know who you are—who could probably run this race with me….)
  • November 15 – Possibly the Capital Running Company’s Veteran’s day 10K, Washington, DC
  • November 21 – PVTC Cranberry Crawl 10K (and 5K) Alexandria, VA. This one is so close to my house and it’s only $5 to run so chances are, I’ll be doing it
  • December 6 – Fall into winter 10K Reston VA
  • December 13 – Jingle All the Way 10K (this race looks really fun) Washington, DC
  • December 19 – PVTC Christmas Caper 10K (and 5K) Washington, DC

This is tentative…it’s just a list of what’s available down here through December.  As you can see I’m trying to focus on 10Ks but I might pick a 5K somewhere in there for the speed work. I’m hoping this will help get me into good enough shape to really start focusing on training for the 1/2 next year. Keep in mind, my desire to run the 1/2 is not just for the purpose of running—it’s also personal so I would love to run it in the best of health as possible.

2 comments:

  1. If I don't run my marathon on Nov. 8th (which is looking not too good), I'll definitely run the 10k in Rockville with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you got my hint...perfect. Keep me posted!!

    ReplyDelete