Monday, August 16, 2010

Something so simple

We all know that movie theater popcorn is terrible for you. If you check the stats, it looks something like this:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 124 g - 1 large

Amount per Serving

  • Calories 664 Calories from Fat 310

% Daily Value *

  • Total Fat 31g 48%
  • Saturated Fat 27g 135%
  • Sodium 443mg 18%
  • Total Carbohydrate 75g 25%
  • Dietary Fiber 9g 36%
  • Sugars 0g
  • Protein 13g 26%

(source-Livestrong)

Microwave popcorn can be a better choice if you buy the low fat, no butter, no salt kinds but let’s face it: nothing beats homemade stovetop popcorn.

However, as much as I love to cook, my first two attempts at making popcorn on the stove failed. The first batch didn’t even pop! I ended up burning the bottom of the pot and nearly setting our kitchen on fire. The second batch – well let’s just say it wasn’t edible. Thank God for Dennis.

image

What you need:

  • An iron pot with a lid. Don’t use glass like I did. It obviously won’t work.
  • 1 tbsp. corn oil
  • 2 tbsp. popping corn
  • Salt, seasonings to taste
  • Butter if you wish

Heat up the corn oil in the pot on medium heat. After a few minutes, throw on one kernel and let it pop. Pull the pot off the fire and let it cool for a few seconds, then put the rest of the kernels in the pot and put back on the flame. Shake the pot a little and get excited when your popcorn pops. I sure do. (Edited to add: I changed the amount of oil from 3 tbsp to 1 because it was obviously way too much. I was estimating by watching Dennis but when I tried to do it myself I realized 1 tbsp. was more than enough. I'd even edit it down to 2 tsp. FYI)

Give me homemade popcorn on my couch and a bad reality show over fatty, salty movie theater popcorn and what might be a good movie in the theaters any day.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how I feel about popcorn- I usually only crave it when I'm in the cinema and then I don't touch the stuff because I have no idea if it's been contaminated with gluten. However, if we had a microwave I would most def be having microwave popcorn for our film nights :)

    Oh, and awesome news about your cholesterol coming down- high 5! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Give me homemade popcorn on my couch and a bad reality show over fatty, salty movie theater popcorn and what might be a good movie in the theaters any day" >>> I could not agree more! Plys you can wear your PJs too when at home hehe

    ReplyDelete