Monday, August 30, 2010

Home sweet home

This statement is meant in more ways than one. Dennis and I made a trip back up to our hometown for his best friend’s wedding. Going “home” is always nice but I’m always glad to come back home to my own bed, my cats, and my kitchen!

We left after work on Wednesday for the 6 hour drive back to upstate NY and it was go go go from there. Well, more so for Dennis since he was the best man at the wedding, but I found ways to keep myself busy while the boys were being boys.

The weather was gorgeous and cool which was a nice break from the heat we’ve been getting in Northern VA. Thursday and Friday were sunny in the mid 60s and wedding day (Saturday) was sunny in the low-mid 70s, which is perfect in my opinion.

I packed my running sneakers with the intentions of pounding the pavement while I was home but instead of running, I opted to walk with Dennis’ father who walks every morning. He told me he walks four miles “around the block” and when he’s feeling well enough, adds another mile to the loop on the way back. I told him I was up for the entire 5 mile loop if he was feeling it, and boy was he.  Both Thursday and Friday morning included the 5 mile loop, but Saturday I did a shorter walk on my own downtown.


Dennis’ parents live in the country, so our walks were very scenic. Actually, even though I pretty much grew up in the country I forget sometimes how beautiful it is. We saw deer, turkeys, horses and cows while we walked. It reminded me that slowing down is not just nice, it’s necessary. Luckily, it doesn’t take much to get to the countryside in Northern VA, so even though we live in the hustle and bustle of metro DC, we can wind down in just a short 15 minute drive if we so wish.

Anyway, the wedding was a blast. We spent a lot of time being dressed up which was kind of nice.


If I could zoom in on those shoes—my sister sent them to me. They killed my feet but I was determined to rock them hard!


Bride and groom gettin busy on the dance floor

Although I didn’t really drink much this weekend (it was open bar but I only had one glass of wine with my dinner. Imagine that!) I still feel like I’m toxic. I brought some food with me so I could eat as healthy as possible but I ended up eating out a lot since we were on the go. The first thing I did when I got home was drink tons of water and eat lots of veggies. It’s 8:30 and as soon as I hit publish I am going to bed!

How was your weekend?


  1. You two look awesome . . . you really do! Va is treating you well. Glad you had a good time (even if you didn't call me . . . sniffle . . . just kidding, still nursing my IT band.) : )

  2. sounds like he's a power walker, I am impressed!