Have you ever had a stand by dish that always seems to satisfy no matter what?
Growing up, rice and beans were always a staple. The only family dinner where you won’t find rice and beans on the table is Thanksgiving. If I can’t find something to make, rice and beans are quick and easy and always satisfying.
But I’d never had it cold until tonight.
And the good part of it is that it took me about 30 minutes to assemble. (Well, I cooked the rice ahead of time, so I guess that’s cheating a little)
I adapted this recipe from Robin Robertson’s Quick-Fix Vegetarian cookbook.
Black Bean and Rice Salad with Roasted Red Peppers and Avocado (serves 4)
- 3 cups of cooked and cold brown Jasmine rice (brown Jasmine rice is SO good!)
- (1) 16 oz. can black beans, drained and rised
- (1) 6 oz. jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 Haas avocados
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (one lime)
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine cold rice, beans, red peppers and onions.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, chili powder and salt. Whisk in the oil.
- Pour dressing onto rice salad and toss lightly to coat.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add cilantro and avocado and serve.
This was so good, and I can guarantee it will be even better tomorrow after it has time to soak up all the flavors. And like I said, if you cheat and make the rice ahead of time like I did ( I just made it the night before) it can be ready in about a half hour. YUM! Enjoy!