Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cross training in 30 minutes-reinventing my morning love

I used to laugh when people said they ran in the morning. Getting up at 6 a.m. to work out was never my idea of fun, but when I started doing it 2 years ago out of pure convenience, I discovered that those people were on to something.

I am fortunate enough to have a free gym membership at work so I have been putting it to good use by waking my ass up a little earlier than normal to work out in the morning. It’s been nice to get back into this routine, but it’s been making me HANGRY during the day. And, I was so exhausted this weekend that I didn’t bother going to the gym or running outside in the 50 degree weather we had yesterday. But I did work out every day this week (Monday through Friday) so I guess taking the weekend off is OK.

I give myself 30 minutes for cardio and strength, so I’ve been making damn sure to get the best out of that time each day.

Here is my new favorite cross training day workout:

Start out on the elliptical with the resistance on the highest setting it goes (on the one I use, it’s 20) Warm up for 5 minutes at level 6, then push it up to 10 each minute, totaling 10 minutes.

Move to the treadmill. Grab 10 pound dumbbells. While walking at a brisk 4.0 pace on a slight incline, do 3 reps each of bicep curls, overhead triceps curls, arm raises, and arm pumps (just pumping your arms while you walk) for 30 seconds each rep. In between each rep, walk for one full minute doing arm pumps. Do this for 10 full minutes.

Move to the stair climber. Climb your ass up those stairs for a good heart pumping 5 minutes (this is as long as I can go for now) at level 10.

Move to the mat. Do 1 20 second plank, 30 bicycle crunches, 30 regular crunches, and another 20 second plank.

Total time: 3o minutes.
I did this Tuesday and Thursday.
Monday I ran 4 miles, Wednesday I ran a 5K.
Friday I did the elliptical for 10 minutes and ran as fast as I could for 2 miles without absolutely killing myself. (I think it took me just under 17 minutes) I will have to admit that I might have sprinted at 7.5 for a minute, then dropped the pace down to 6.0 to catch my breath, and bumped it back up to 7.5, then 8, then back down to 6.0 to catch my breath. But I did run at 7.0 for a full  mile before I started messing with the pace.

Now I just have to fight off the exhaustion I felt this entire weekend so I don’t waste anymore good long run days.

No comments:

Post a Comment