Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My camera died on my coconuts

I started out my day with a gorgeous run along one of the many trails in Fairfax County VA, but have nothing to show for it. I brought my camera with me and almost cried when I couldn’t turn it on. I’ve taken ridiculously good care of this camera—kept it in its case, never dropped it, always made sure it was secure and safe. I used it last night to take pictures of the cats being silly and had no problems with it. And then all of a sudden---nothing. What’s up with that?

Oh well. I’m going to take it to the Geek Squad tomorrow to see if they can fix it. Until then, you’ll have to settle for just words.

The weather here has been awesome. This morning was sunny and in the mid 60s. I actually set out to just walk since I haven’t been feeling well but I felt so good out there that I just started running.

Fairfax county has amazing running/walking/biking trails and I’ve been dying get out on them. I ran about 4 miles into Olde Town Alexandria and back (4 miles round trip) and am happy to report that I had no pain and had no nausea or headaches to complain about today. What a way to start my day!

I came across So Delicious Coconut milk while shopping this weekend and decided to give it a shot. They were out of my unsweetened soy milk so I got the unsweetened So Delicious instead. The verdict? It’s great in my oats but terrible in a bowl of cereal. It really tastes more like coconut water than milk, but I’m the one that wanted the unsweetened kind.

Bev_coconut_opening 
Source

To go along with the coconut theme, I also remembered that I have this jar of organic coconut oil that Dennis’ sister sent to us a while ago. Since Dennis hates coconut, I claimed the jar for myself. My latest concoction: Coconut salad dressing. You really need to give this a shot.

Coconut Salad Dressing

  • 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp organic unsweetened coconut oil (I have to put it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so to liquefy it)
  • 1/4 tsp fresh garlic
  • 1/2 tsp oregano

Stir well and pour. I like to make it ahead of time to let the garlic set, but it’s good either way. I’ve also used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic.
I really like the coconut oil in this because it evens out the strength of the vinegar and garlic. So good. Give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, you've got to try the vanilla flavor coconut milk beverage, it's amazing on cereal! And I have to try that salad dressing. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Benjamin! I'll give it a try. The vanilla soy is too sweet so maybe this will be just the right amount. And yes, let me know if you try that dressing. It's really good!

    ReplyDelete