Sunday, November 22, 2009

Overcooked, but luckily I recovered

You know what I’m talking about. Overcooked food is always a bummer. It’s usually dry, tough, and just not as desirable to eat. But sometimes you eat it anyway simply because it’s all you’ve got.

That’s how I started out my weekend feeling: Overcooked. After waking up Saturday morning excited to have a nice, normal breakfast of hot oats and coffee, I was saddened to see how they turned out. You guessed it: Overcooked.

This was a very draining week of training for my new job. Don’t get me wrong, I am really excited about this job and I think I’m really going to like it. It’s just that being new is demanding. Learning new things, driving to new places, sitting in traffic….it’s not like I’ve never experienced these things before, but it’s been a while so I have to get used to it again! On top of that, my gym schedule has been completely thrown upside down so I only made it to the gym once this week. Yes, I know, it’s not that big of a deal. Sometimes things happen and we have to accommodate for those things. But usually when things get stressful, I use working out as my release, so not having that to fall back on this week has been tough.

That being said, I headed out for a run to make myself feel somewhat useful. 7 miles on a sunny Saturday morning, nothing like it right?  Let’s just say I struggled for about 90% of this run. Here are my stats:

7 Miles, 1:07:12
Mile 1 – 9:45
Mile 2 – 9:15
Mile 3 – 9:15
Mile 4 – 9:52
Mile 5 – 9:44
Mile 6 – 10:00
Mile 7 – 9:19

My numbers don’t look too terrible but I felt awful most of the run. I couldn’t really breathe, and I felt kind of yucky. I was just dragging ass the entire time and I felt like I was forcing every step by the time I was done. However, I have to remember that my week was crazy compared to normal, and starting a new job is draining both physically and emotionally. Let’s just say I was happy to have it done and out of the way.
The rest of my day consisted of another burrito bowl from Chipotle’s

Burrito Bowl 
(yes this is a recycled picture. I inhaled it so fast that I didn’t have time to take one.)

It is looking like having Chipotle’s so close to me might become dangerous. I was in bed by 10 and passed out shortly after. I really needed that sleep because I woke up feeling like a million bucks this morning.

I started out my day with another HEAB-esque breakfast of modified Sweet Potato pancakes (well, pancake-I only ate half of the recipe)

I used her Kabocha Squash recipe but instead tweaked it like this:

  • 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • a generous sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup 1% milk
  • 1 egg + 1 egg white
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 of a good sized sweet potato, cooked and smashed

Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients (separately at first) and cook. This was the best batch I’ve made so far. I think the problem before was that I was just throwing everything together and mixing, but the key is really to combine wet and dry ingredients separately first, then combine together. I should know this by now as a baker but I get lazy and impatient sometimes.

IMG_0023

A bite was taken before the picture was taken. Again, impatient :)
I topped my pancake with a little bit of peanut butter and some pumpkin puree. Yum. Along with some coffee, a perfect Sunday morning breakfast.

Then I decided to go for another run. I normally don’t run two days in a row but I was feeling so good this morning, the sun was shining, and I just couldn’t resist. I waited about 2 hours after breakfast and headed out.
I rocked my Otter Run 5K T-shirt:

IMG_0027
I just love the otter!

Boy what a difference a day makes.

4 miles, 33:17

Mile 1 – 9:01
Mile 2 – 8:05
Mile 3 – 7:58
Mile 4 – 8:11

I wanted to keep running but since I ran 7 miles yesterday I didn’t want to overdo it. I thought 12 miles in 2 days might not be good for the foot. I came home and did some push-ups, crunches, and some squats with 3 pound weights (I really need to get more weights) and really ended my weekend on a good note. 

Tomorrow’s post will cover this in a little more depth but I’ve been experiencing some major Buddha belly after my runs, and I wasn’t sure what if this was normal. I’ve always had this issue but after Saturday’s run I seriously looked a few months pregnant after my run. (not like ready to pop preggo but maybe 2 or 3) After consulting with a few of my blogger friends I have come to the realization that this is not normal and I must be doing something wrong. More on that tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment