Saturday, August 15, 2009

Jackie Warner and chocolate milk

Hello All! It’s finally Friday! And the sun is back out! WOO HOO!
I think it’s sad that it’s August and I have to be happy about the sun. The weather up here has been insane all summer long.  (I say that as if I live in Canada or Alaska or something.)

So I was talking to one of my BFFs Liz about diversifying my workouts and she told me I should look into buying Jackie Warner’s Workout One on One Training with Jackie. Liz graduated with a Phys. Ed. degree and was a personal trainer at New York Sports Clubs for three years while working on her masters to be a teacher. She is also a former soccer teammate with a rockin body. She has a 2 year old daughter and if you were to look at her you’d never know. She is naturally (and luckily) smaller in frame, but she’s also worked very hard to tone her body, especially after the baby. I asked her what she did to get her rockin body back and she said weight training is what helped her most.

IMG_0846 
Liz and I giving her twin sister Amy a bride sandwich. This picture was taken four months after Liz had her daughter. She had lost 10 pounds in that time by weight training, and still lost another 5 pounds after without trying. Can you believe that after 10 years of being BFFs with these two that I can’t find any other recent pics? And this was from October of 2007?!

Upon her suggestion, I ordered Jackie Warner’s Workout: One on One Training with Jackie. As soon as it gets here, I’ll be sure to let you know how I feel about it.

Have anyone of you guys out there tried her DVD?

OK now on to the chocolate milk.

I don’t drink much milk but I do love me some soy milk. Part of the reason for my massive weight gain in college was my love for Nestle’s Nesquik full fat milk that was available to us via food points on my meal plan. One serving had 200 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 30 grams of sugar. Each container had about 2.5 servings. I drank this about 4 times a week…you do the math. (this, on top of mozzarella sticks and whatever crap I could get my hands on just before the late night session of the food center closed)
Even though this made me SO SICK every time I drank it, it was like a drug. It was SO GOOD and I couldn’t stop going back for more. (I can’t say my late night munchies were exactly controllable if you know what I mean)
Since my college years I have given up all things drink that have calories (except beer, wine, and soymilk) and focus on water, unsweetened teas and of course, coffee. But I have found out recently that chocolate milk is the best thing to drink after a workout—especially after lifting.

Now, I can’t lie, I’ve actually known this for quite some time, but I was just reminded by my Women’s Health magazine, so I thought I’d share it.
According to the magazine:
There's way more to milk than just calcium. In fact, it's a damn near perfect food, giving you a lot of valuable energy while keeping your calorie count low, says nutritionist Susan Kleiner, Ph.D. The chocolate kind is loaded with calcium, vitamins, and minerals just like the plain stuff, but new studies confirm that milk with a touch of cocoa is as powerful as commercial recovery drinks at replenishing and repairing muscles.

So go have a glass of low-fat chocolate milk (or chocolate soymilk) after your workout. What a great way to kick off your weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Now Casting: "Thintervention with Jackie Warner" (Bravo)

    Have you spent too long struggling with your weight? Have you tried to change your eating habits and stick to a workout routine but have yet to succeed? Are you sick and tired of feeling sick and tired? If so—Jackie Warner, star of BRAVO’s hit series “Workout”—wants to help you change your life once and for all in her new BRAVO series, “Thintervention with Jackie Warner” (working title).

    Our casting team is looking for people to participate in our new weight loss series that focuses on REAL people with REAL issues.

    Thintervention with Jackie Warner gives you access to internationally recognized trainer, Jackie Warner, who will personalize your diet and exercise plan to reach goals that are realistic for you while you continue to live your everyday life.

    In addition to receiving personal training with Jackie, you will also have access to a counselor who can help address the core reasons behind your weight issues and frustrations. The combined benefits of the incredible Jackie Warner and the bonus of a counselor are the perfect combination to help you CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

    If you are ready to transform your life and show the world what you’re made of, please send the following information to mwacasting@gmail.com: (i) your name; (ii) a contact telephone number; (iii) your email address; and (iv) a JPEG formatted photo.

    All applicants must meet eligibility requirements, which include, without limitation, being at least 21 years old as of January 1, 2010, a legal resident of the U.S., and living in or within 50 miles of Los Angeles County California, among other requirements as determined by Producers. Please see the Application for more details.

    ReplyDelete