Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The best frosting ever

Something about store bought frosting scares me. Maybe it’s the crap that’s in it. Have you read the ingredient list? Even before I started becoming more conscience of what I eat, I’ve never been a store bought frosting type of girl. Too sweet, too sticky..I especially dislike buttercream frosting. Anytime anyone orders a bakery cake, it has that crap on it. So whenever I make a cake, I must make the frosting. This annoys Dennis as he loves store bought Vanilla frosting (ugh) so I try to make his extra sweet. Me, I prefer cream cheese frosting. And if you do too, this one will not disappoint. And I’m sure this would work with vanilla, chocolate, any kind of frosting you like.

The BEST frosting EVER. (Cream Cheese Version)

Ingredients:

  • 1 8oz. package of cream cheese (I used Philly 1/3 less fat)
  • 3 T maple syrup, agave nectar, or sweetener of choice (I used raw half coconut nectar, half maple syrup)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 pint real whipping cream

Preparation:

  1. In a big mixing bowl with an electric mixer, mix the cream cheese, vanilla, and the sweetener of your choice until smooth and creamy. Taste.
  2. In another bowl, whip your whipping cream until it starts to form peaks and gets thick.
  3. Fold the whipped cream into your frosting.

IMG_1455Try not to eat the entire bowl.

The frosting gets extra creamy and the whipped cream gives it almost a lighter texture.

IMG_1467

IMG_1468

IMG_1469

I loved it, but it wasn’t sweet enough for Dennis. Maybe next time I’ll make a separate bowl for him and add more sweetener, and then actually sweeten the whipped cream too.

I’ve actually used this cream cheese in my oatmeal as an after dinner/before bedtime treat.  And, I used some of Heather’s 2 Ingredient Fudge, melted it, and mixed it in with the frosting to make a cream cheese fudge frosting. Yeah, it’s that good.

Please, if you try this, let me know what you think! And by IF I mean WHEN because you really need to try this recipe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment