Thursday, September 2, 2010

Do what you can

I had it all planned out to run 4 miles today with a little bit of strength training. I went down to the gym with full intentions of completing my workout in around 50 minutes. I had some extra time today since my boss was in meetings all afternoon and I got into work early so I thought why not?

I got to the gym around 1:30 and started pounding it out on the treadmill. The first mile started off slow and hard but I started feeling better around the 10 minute mark, so I picked up the pace with the intention of running 4 x 800s at different race pace speeds. Fartleks, if you will, with the first 800 at a 10K pace, slowed back to a jog for 800, then an 800 at a 5K pace, then back to 10K pace, then back to a jog. However, after the first set, I got such bad cramps I had no choice but to stop.

I thought I was going to pass out and I had only run 2 miles! What’s that all about?

I decided it was better to listen to my body than to push myself through any more. I actually woke up with really bad cramps too (yes, we’re talking THOSE kind of cramps) and I won’t lie, I was a little concerned. They hit me out of nowhere and they lasted about 10 minutes or so, then they went away. I’ve never had cramps this bad before, and I’m not sure if it’s the PCOS (even though I’m back on the pill) but it was not normal.

After the failed 4 mile attempt, I did a couple of planks and called it a day. Then I told myself that a 25 minute workout is better than nothing.

That’s ok, my dinner made up for it.

IMG_0424

I was in the mood for grilled cheese. This hit the spot.

IMG_0425 

Steamed asparagus with a drizzle of olive oil and garlic, sliced tomatoes and grilled swiss cheese with homemade hummus and sprouts on GF bread. Yum.

Do you feel like you set goals that are too high for yourself?

I am notorious for biting off more than I can chew, and it’s hard not to feel bad when the result is not what I’d hoped for. I’m getting better with my feeling of failure, and today is a good example of that. Normally I’d get down on myself for not finishing what I set out to do, but I walked away from the gym feeling satisfied that I did what I could. It’s a step in the right direction!

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. You go girl for giving yourself a pat on the back for your workout! You did well. Continue to listen to your body and give it what it needs. And nice photo of that sandwich. Looks yummy. Have a beautiful long weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this made me chuckle as I went to the gym Wednesday AM to run. Encountered my notorious IT band issue so cut it short at 2 miles, did some planks and went home.
    25 minutes is better than no minutes. I hope the cramps are gone!

    ReplyDelete